21 January 2006

After a slight pause....

HEY - TWO GREAT MINDS :-D Thanks Brian (his posting follows)

I'm delighted to be back writing directly to all of you!

Things have been right next to unbelievable! The surgery went much smoother than *I* anticipated and I think was anticipated by friends and doctors.

I know that a huge thank you goes to each of you, for your prayers and white light and good energy that you send each minute and hour of the day. My progress has been exciting!

I got home on Monday and spent a restful night. After a bit of a speedbump to start Tuesday I got out later that day to go by to see the school administration and check up on my kids. Several of you have observed honestly that my biggest worries of all of this process center around my kids at school. I'm hoping for good and consistent things to continue there.

I did have a fast "dinner" of rice at Applebee's with two caregivers and then went about reconsructing life at home. I do tire easily and have to take care to make sure that I don't lift or move anything that I shouldn't. Keeping ME clean is a minor challenge. The catheter for dialysis is just below my right shoulder and cannot get wet. Bathing/showering and hair washing both present challenges and take up more time than I would have anticipated.

Dialysis on Wednesday ( my 4th session) in Princeton proved to be a challenge. The 3rd session went for 4+ hours at Duke because the machine developed clots right at the start. The Princeton session ended with the same clotting, and a few small clots were pushed into my perm cath and had to be cleared. This was exciting to say the least, and after both of these sessions I didn't have the energy to do more than listen! This was a BIG change from "normal"!! It was just good to be in a warmed bed and close my eyes.
In stark contrast, I think I frightened a few of the members of Beckley Presbyterian Choir when I showed up for rehearsal and accompanied the whole time. I know several had expectations of me to be lying quietly in some hospital room, and there I was! Before some of you jump to worry, yes, it's all approved thru Duke!
My orders (when I specifically questioned about playing the piano and being "out" in the mall and places like that) were to "do as much as you can to speed your recovery - don't lift anything or drive - but get active!" Is THAT an open door or what? Before I hear some of you panic, yes I'm going to be reasonable with how much I do and I'll be careful! :-D
I hope you are as surprised and pleased as I of all of the successes that have been a part of this whole progression. A special thank you to those who have responded to Brian's work to help with the other struggles that accompany this surgery.
It is my continued hope that you come to know more about PKD and join others, PKD sufferers, donors and researchers to put an end to this disease. I covet your continued prayers for strength and health!
Tim Sol.... sans twins!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

About time you get back to posting. Your public has been awaiting this moment. Just remember one thing -- a church choir rehearsal is one thing, but DO NOT get in your head that you're going to school next week. Otherwise it can be arranged that your next caregiver will be Guido!!!

5:18 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Amen! Fortunately if you try to do too much next week, you'll have the Queen to contend with! I can always refuse to take you anywhere... and if need be, I can always SIT on you! Then you won't be going ANYWHERE.

See you soon, doll!

Stevie

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise God for this beautiful report. I was unaware of what you were facing until the day of the surgery when a mutual friend sent me word. I have always so admired you. I miss you and hope to see you on my next trip to WV. Many here are praying for you...Jamie in Raleigh

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear how well things are going. Your Roanoke cheering section is still on the job and will be in the weeks to come! You continue to be an inspiration to us all, just as you have been to me for 25+ years now!

Mike
and your friends at St. John's...

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home