01 February 2006

Marked improvement

A special mid-afternoon report via Jeanne:

During the night, Tim put his M.D./R.N. training to work and decided that the pain meds were causing his nausea. His complaint was that the nurses were not taking his issue seriously enough, saying, "Oh, gee, that shouldn't be happening." Using his unusually high threshold of pain, he cut back on the pain meds during the night and, after his surgeon was in this morning, was given a change in pain and nausea meds. You will remember from Jeanne's post that motion was the issue -- something as simple as rolling to be on his side was nauseating.

Well...

Since this morning's conversation with the surgeon, Tim has been sitting up and has begun his laps around the unit's corridors. He has energy back and is leaning toward being his "effervescent" self. Motion and nausea are no longer issues. Tim has himself back on the fast track to recovery.

The educator is teaching us all something about being knowledgable, proactive, and, when needed, insistent when it comes to our medical care.

-- Brian

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Great news! Nausea is the worst... so glad you're back to being bubbly for the RIGHT reasons! Thinking of you often.

Stevie

4:51 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

When we were at the Bluefield Mall, Tim's friend Deb commented that we should equip Tim with a tape player and headphones that we could hand anyone who stopped by asking how he was doing; kind of like at the museum: slap on the headphones, hit "Play" and you get the whole scoop! Well, I've thought of that this week as I go to each of my rehearsals during the week and people ask me "how is your friend doing?" Seriously, though, it's my pleasure to tell them he's doing GREAT; he's already had his transplant, and the new kidney is functioning beautifully. I don't tell them that with your new girlie kidney, you're going to have to stop at every rest stop on the highway, and when you're at the restaurant and go to the restroom, you can only go if three or four of your friends go too!

Love ya!

Stevie

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have no idea how happy reading all this makes me! :) I knew you'd do this in typical Tim style!!

I was deluged with questions yesterday about whether or not I had any news on your surgery... mind you these are from folks who'd never heard of you till a couple months ago. I had 4 phone calls today while I was, myself, home sick with the Lake Erie Crud... Folks wanted to know how I was, then wanted to know if I'd heard anything. Gotta love these people! Keep up the good work!! You're in my (and a huge chunk of my congregation's) heart and prayers, always!!

tami

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home