06 February 2006

...one week ago....

.....my new addition was installed! Although there have been some bumps with all the treatment post-op, I can hardly believe that it's only been a week!

I'm still awed by the depth of generosity of Ann, Brian Burke, Jeanne Christopherson and all the team of caregivers and all of you supporting me through good wishes and prayers. Simply, this could not have happened successfully without each of you (especially Ann!)

I've been graced with a profound responsibilty of taking care of this new "kid" and making sure that I keep [her?him] healthy. It's an awesome responsibility that I think most would not consider if you have not had a transplant. What a blessing we have in our bodies and a deep responsibility to care for them so they work well for us!

Just updating so you can have an idea of what day to day life after hospital has been. The kidney is functioning well from what I can tell. About every 45-90 minutes when given the "signal" from my re-awakening bladder ( remember it was asleep for 19 days) I measure output and record it along with the time. Occasional checks include temp and bp so all "functions" are recorded for the weekly review at Duke.

Today I was able to "shower/bath" and wash my hair on my own. The hair is the feat, because the perm-cath is still in my upper right chest and will remain there for about 3 more weeks. They'll also remove a stent that's keeping the "ductwork" between the new kid and my old bladder open for business [won't THAT be pleasant?] and check on the remaining drainage site at the top of the incision. By looking closer I found that the incision for the hernia repair AND new kidney are actually one - an extension of one another and moving from upper left abdomen into the body midline on a 45* angle. MORE staples to remove! WHEE!

Completing my day of becoming more human, I'm back into contacts and pulled the ponytail back. Pain is decreasing and the need for a pill to keep those sensations at bay are going away as well.

I have REAL shoes on the feet that *I* tied! Little triumphs of returning to being genuinely human! A mini-excursion and some laundry will complete the day's progression. The pan is NOTABLY less when I move around frequently, but only for short bursts.

Thanks for keeping up with me here! I'm planning to continue to blog so you can have a "photo" of this recovery.....OH..... speaking of photos.... would you like to see the photos from Surgery ONE when they are sent to me? My surgeon photo'd Boris and Natasha as well as Mr Liver!!

Is that in the "too much info - don't post those here" category? Let me know!

Tim & the week old kid

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pictures, yes please! We love family photos of all kinds...love to you and Ms Peebody from the Yinzers

3:03 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Pictures; definitely... but maybe on a secondary page so the faint of heart have the option of not viewing them?

Stevie

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Knuckle-buster,

Glad to hear you're making progress. Now that you have extra room inside, maybe you can have the docs to put in a big zipper. That way you'll have somewhere to stash your stuff. Bill and I had a bet going on you. Without a lot of detail, I'll say thanks for the post choir rehearsal refreshment. Hope to see you soon. Take care.
RTR

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds a little like learning to navigate around a herniated disc with sciatica, which put me down for weeks! Anyway, we DO take so much for granted; washing hair, lacing shoes - great to hear you're getting back to human activites.
Yes, pictures would be awesome of the old twins.
I vote for the name Angelica for the new resident!
Take care,
Mike

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can repay all these wonderful prayers and wishes and friends by GETTING WELL and continuing to offer us all your marvelous energy and tutelage!!! Nothing more is required! That would be more than we could ask!
Connie and the Blue Ridge dingalings

6:18 PM  
Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

Oooo I love pictures!!
Glad to hear you are becoming more human as the days progress. That shower is the best!!

All those little successes add up and you are doing terrific!
LadyBug

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim,

I'd pass on the pictures - But we'd love a picture of YOU with your new date safely in tow. My kids at school are all sending their best prayers - even as they struggle with Cadenzato!!

My secret word at the bottom of the page was "doodh" which you are - what a dude!!

Kath

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots of ((((huggy vibes)))) and ))))deep good wishes(((( from Albuquerque.

We knew you were strong, and now we are witnessing a new, inspiring measure of your strength.

Thanks for keeping us posted as you journey further.

-Mark

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, now. The kid is more than a week old. It's just a week with its new foster parent.

My secret word is rznkj. If Kath can think of you as a doodh, I'll think of you as a rznkj.

Dang. Some of us STILL have to keep you in line. Poor Jeanne.

--Brian

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pictures would be cool! Do you have before and after of you too? That would be fun to see!! I'm so glad to hear that you're doing great! You are an incredible person!! I like the name Bullwinkle so you could tell people that you have to go tinkle, and have lots of words that rhyme! :) Keep up your amazing recovery....and remember that slowing down is NOT a bad thing!! Love you!!

Mandi

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like pictures! :) So glad to see all the progress you're making. Keep going slow...and I'll see you on Friday!!

*hugs*

Laurie

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Continued well wishes from Michigan. Your progress and spirit have been great to read about! Would love to see pictures--we know how much you love to have them taken!!! Hope to see you at a festival again soon.

The Gosbells of Utica UMC

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura and I have been keeping up. Glad to see you've come thgrough as well as we expected (chronic overacheiver that you are). Pictures would be cool, but I'll have to view them when Laura's not here. Keep pacing yourself, as it looks like it will be summer before we can get to you, and I couldn't keep up if you're back to 100% energy level. Laura recommends "Rocky" for the new kid, with the double entrendre of continuing the Bullwinkle, and the champion overcoming adversity. ;)

I like Wee Willie, myself (Get it?)

We'll talk soon.

All our love. Bob and Laura

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No way, let us see them!

2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home