13 April 2006

OF MONTHS AND MIRACLES

[Apologies to those who check regularly - I had a thought that interest here was starting to fade, but I see it might not be! Don't be quiet - you're welcome to comment below!

ALSO this is a post that actually started more than a week ago - and kept growing I'll have to just post things in segments? Thanks again for keeping up! ]

OF MONTHS.....

It's been just past two months [ed. note - this is almost the 10th week! WOW] since the big surgery. I'm figuring that most of you don't live life in the days and weeks much unless you've recently had a child. The experience has been both exciting and frightening!

For those checking in for updates - the white blood cell count at last check was up to about 4.4 which is just past the range of 4-10 that Duke likes. I'm moving up slowly and they've chosen to keep med levels at the same spot as before to allow them to climb. They've removed all the antibiotics and antivirals which is both good and bad. As time goes by the system will become a bit more resilient to invading germs but I still have to be cautious in what gets in (food things) and who I'm around (lest someone sneeze on me!) The HUGE news is that, following spring break (the week after Easter) I'll be trying "back to work full time"!

I'm looking forward to getting to try my hand again at conducting a bell fest as well - very soon! It's always a "test" to see if one still 'has it" and it will be a good time for me!


......AND MIRACLES

In the season of Lent just past and Easter that comes quickly, I'm happy to reflect on miracles. Certainly and without a doubt all of your support through prayer and good thoughts have been one of the miracles for me, along with the certain miracle of the nephrectomy and transplant.

I would never minimalize this truly miraculous event that has rejuvenated and renewed life as I know it. I still sit in awe and some panic to know how far I had slipped before this surgery and medical miracle that wasn't available to my dad just 45 years ago. PKD was a certain death sentence, and I had entered that cycle in the last months of 2005.....but...

..I've had my attention drawn to things that some might consider some of the mini-events of life and look again and again at the miracles that happen BECAUSE I've had the transplant. I'm sure you're confused with this, so I'll give you some examples that have surfaced....

* a former student - very talented but going through a rough spot in life that separated him from me - came up to me to ask how things were. The opportunity to talk patched many of the rough spots we had prior to his graduation. BOY did I ever celebrate that evening.

* two friends separately mentioned to me that they had experienced a death in their current life experience. I said a few words, in a feeble attempt to console and not knowing if it would help (know you've been in those shoes). I was warmed by hearing from them that they had shared my words with the families (in two separate instances) and that both the families and they had been consoled and given heart by my attempt to console. We never know how we impact another!

Just two of the many examples that I've noticed recently! I continue to be blessed with these random occurrences!

Remember how important you are to me and to those around you!

Don't forget to post a comment (even just a HI) if you're still reading all this! I'll try to do better at keeping up with the writing!

Tim & Kid!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim,

I'd figured that, for the past weeks, your "No News" was "Good News" as indeed it is... Each of us makes a ripple in the sea of life...and it's nice when the ripples sometimes return to us as well.

Kath

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim,

I checked almost every day to see how the blood test had come out. I am SO glad to hear the good news, finally! This is really the season of rebirth for us all.
God bless us all!

Leslie Miller

12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,
Yes, I have missed your posts and check regularly. Thanks for the updates and wisdom as always. Your first festival back this coming weekend in Hendersonville, NC, should be awesome! Please post how it goes!
Mike Mazz.

1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,
Yay! for rising cell counts! We continue to be blessed by your "ripples" (and you can take as many double meanings as you like!). Don't worry about "keeping up with the writing". I think we all realize that you are naturally returning to your normal(?), more private self. However, the occassional update on the status of "things" is always welcome. And certainly, your stories of kindness and miracles encourage all of us to do likewise.
Glad you are well and looking forward to seeing you in July.
Penny

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim,

As always, we're touched by your reflections and thrilled that things are continuing in the right direction. Welcome back to your classroom!

Mike & Rad

11:24 PM  
Blogger Buffy said...

Good to see another post and to hear you are still doing well.

I was beginning to get worried.

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim, thinking about you this weekend. We are having an awesome festival here in the North Hills with Greig who is subbing for Valerie. ALL IS WELL! Thank God for talented folk who are willing to step up and do the hard work of filling in!

I've missed your posts and even though we talk, I do check on the blog regularly for your wonderful bon mots. Please continue as long as YOUR interests holds in doing so.

Thanks for your words of inspiration to all of us. You are blessed and are a blessing.

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Tim,
Your story and whole miraculous experience has resonated with me and my heart leaps up every time I hear how well you are doing.
I had a miracle in my life as well in November 1999 when I suffered a Cerebral Aneurysm in the middle of the night and was rushed to hospital and then flown by helicopter to UCLA where I underwent 14 hours of surgery on the base of my brain! Sounds very dramatic- but I was asleep! So I woke up in a hospital room with many family members and friends around and realized something serious had happened!
It took me a year to recover completely and feel "normal" again but I have been thankful for my new lease on life every day since.
Sound familiar? Yes, we seem to have much in common!
I am now directing a handbell choir at the Village Church in Rancho Santa Fe, California and this month my husband and I celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary!
God bless you!
Love,
Marianne Schwartz

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home