23 May 2006

....ON LOSS

This morning, 23 June 2006, my aunt "Jo" passed away quietly in a nursing facility. She has been, throughout life, a vibrant person without much illness. She was the last of the living bothers and sisters of my maternal grandparents who raised their family for many years in the very same town that I now live.

For those of you who are trying to track the unusual network of family, Jo is also related to Ann and lived for the past many years with Ann's mother.

Any time a loss of this nature occurs, it gives family members and others a time to pause and reflect on mortality as it relates directly to us. Youth have the hardest time with this because we, as humans, aren't "wired" to feel mortal. As we grow and age, we see the reality of becoming mortal and fragile. For some, it arrives earlier. Others arrive there a little later.

People closer to me often react to my "different" take on death. Of course, one is sad for the simple fact that we don't have the opportunity for a hug or a phone call or the unfailing cards at holidays, but I'm honestly excited and heartened that each of us will be in a place that will be much better with more understanding of the life that we've just completed.

One of the transitions that I saw with my upcoming surgery - about a year or two prior to the surgery - was my reference to "the body" which became very separate from "me" through that time. I'd frequently, without really thinking about it, say things like "...The body isn't having a good day today" not realizing that I was genuinely separating, and separated, the body physical from the energy or life-force that was me.

Read back over some of the earlier posts- it's there - and I'm sure some of you remember hearing me say things just like that.

Interesting that, now, it simply has stopped. It doesn't happen. Life-energy and body physical have become one again. But, with great assurance, I know that life-energy at some point will separate from the physical and will become at-one with the creator and all of creation.

"... as we wait in joyful hope....."

Tim & kid